Last night, the Comedy Awards aired on Comedy Central. After last year's ceremony, we discussed the Comedy Awards' biggest problem – it's an award show. From the Oscars down to whatever Nickelodeon's award show is called, the actual honor inherently doesn't really mean anything beyond it's nice to win things and it's nice when people we like win things. So the Comedy Awards, which seem even more trivial because they are so young, are nice because our favorite people get to be honored. They can, and will, self-deprecate towards it but it's still a worthy moment for people who wouldn't otherwise get that level of moments. As Paul Feig said in his acceptance speech for best director, it's great just for him to beat The Artist in something. Similarly, where else would Don Rickles get a lifetime achievement award and get to give such a terrific speech as above?
In twenty years, the awkwardness of it all might fade away and some young standup will give an acceptance speech, in which she or he mentions, as a kid, being inspired by watching Louis C.K. win all those awards. Hell, if the MTV Music Awards can exist for 18 years, there can be a damn Comedy Awards.
Did you watch? What did you think? Was it just nice to see your favorite funny people dressed nicely? How great was the Between Two Ferns special (which if you missed, is streaming online here)?
Here is the list of winners, including the online Viewers Choice categories:
• Stand-Up Icon Award: Robin Williams
• Johnny Carson Award: Don Rickles
• Comedy Film: "Bridesmaids"
• Animated Comedy Film: "Rango"
• Performance by an Actor-Film: Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
• Performance by an Actress-Film: Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids"
• Comedy Director-Film: Paul Feig, "Bridesmaids"
• Comedy Screenplay: "Bridesmaids"
• Comedy Series: "Parks and Recreation"
• Sketch/Alternative Comedy Series: "Louie"
• Animated Comedy Series: "Archer"
• Performance by an Actor-TV: Ty Burrell, "Modern Family"
• Performance by an Actress-TV: Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"
• Late Night Comedy Series: "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart"
• Comedy Writing-TV: "30 Rock"
• Comedy Directing-TV: "Louie"
• Comedy Special of the Year: "Louis C.K.: Live at the Beacon Theater"
• Stand-Up Tour: Louis C.K.
• Club Comic: Hannibal Buress
• Viewer's Choice Breakout Performer of the Year: Donald Glover
• Viewer's Choice Best Viral Original: "Songify This-Winning-A Song by Charlie Sheen"
• Viewer's Choice Funniest Person on Twitter: Rob Delaney
• Viewer's Choice Best Comedy Podcast: WTF with Marc Maron
• Viewer's Choice Best Comedy App: Robert Kelly Live
• Viewer's Choice Best Remix, Mash-Up, or Supercut: The Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger