The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show: Fred Graver, Who Has Done Everything
“[Writing a Choose Your Own Adventure] is very much like writing a video game, and weirdly enough it was very much like writing remotes for Letterman”
– Fred Graver, my guest on this week’s Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show
Other things I discuss with Fred in this episode:
- What it was like writing for Letterman in the 80’s when he was still finding his voice.
- The challenges of writing a Choose Your Own Adventure novel (#35 – Journey to Stonehenge, pictured above).
- The difficulty of writing for In Living Color and the joy of writing for Cheers.
- How he ended up spending two years in the 90’s at Disney brainstorming the future of television with computer greats like Marvin Minsky and Alan Kay (Wikipedia them, they’re impressive).
- How editing The National Lampoon was kinda his first real job.
- What it’s like to run programming for VH1 and how he came up with the idea for Best Week Ever.
- What he’s currently doing for Twitter.
- And, believe it or not, more.
Fred is pretty much the coolest and I think anyone who is seriously interested in anything would enjoy hearing about his career. The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show comes out Tuesdays and is available iTunes, YouTube, and JeffRubinJeffRubinShow.com.