Dan Aykroyd is absolutely determined to make his own Ghostbusters sequel. Aykroyd did a round of interviews this week on The Howard Stern Show and Unmasked with Ron Bennington, and during both interviews he addressed the in-the-works Ghostbusters reboot by Paul Feig as well as his intention to move forward with a more "conventional" sequel to the original films.
"I've got three daughters, so I’m all for female empowerment," he said on Feig's all-women reboot, admitting that the franchise needed "a new engine, new exhaust, new steering." That won't, however, stop Aykroyd from making his dream "Ghostbusters universe" become a reality, especially in the form of [...]
"I love females. I hope that if they go that way at least they'll be funny, and if they're not funny at least hopefully it'll be sexy. I love the idea of including women, I think that's great. But all-female I think would be a bad idea. I don't think the fans want to see that."
– Fourth Ghostbuster Ernie Hudson gives his ridiculously sexist two cents on Paul Feig's in-the-works reboot in an interview with The Telegraph.
The most recent update on the long-rumored Ghostbusters sequel was the news of a possible all-female reboot directed by Paul Feig, but according to Dan Aykroyd, the future of Ghostbusters — or as he calls it, the Ghostbusters "brand" — is now much more than just a movie. According to THR, Aykroyd was asked at an event in London for an update on the movie and said he's shifted his focus from a sequel to a Marvel-style universe: "It’s beyond just another sequel, a prequel, another TV show. I'm thinking what does the whole brand mean to Sony? What does Pixar and Star Wars mean to Disney? [...]
Earlier this week, entertainment blogger Nikki Finke published a story about Max Landis being hired to write the new draft of Ghostbusters III, which Landis quickly debunked on Twitter, denying any involvement. Max Landis, whose father John Landis often collaborated with fellow '80s comedy kingpins/Ghostbusters people Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Ivan Reitman, proceeded to lay out his ideas on Twitter for what he would hypothetically do with Ghostbusters on Twitter and it actually sounds kind of cool, unlike most Ghostbusters III concepts. Here's what he had to say (via /Film):
My full movie concerns several new teams (focusing on one), grown from the Ghostbusters Franchise which is now global [...]
On Tuesday, original Ghostbusters director Ivan Reitman announced that he was stepping down as director of the upcoming sequel, but he assured fans that he was helping the production find an equally perfect director. According to Nikki Finke, Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street directing duo Phil Lord and Chris Miller are reportedly in talks to replace Reitman, which is a hopeful update that Ghostbusters III still has a chance of being great. No word on how this will affect Lord and Miller's desire to do a Clone High movie, but directing Ghostbusters seems like a fair excuse.