Community’s return this year was one of the most anticipated comedy events of the season. The theme of redemption (always a deep part of the show) seemed especially prevalent, as this season had the tall task of establishing why this show still needs to exist. That it deserves to return after a lackluster (by previous standards) fourth season, that Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna returning as showrunners would be able to steer the show in the right direction, and that a Pierce and Troy-less Community wouldn’t feel like an imitation of itself; that this wasn’t a Scrubs season 9 sort of situation. Not only did the show stand [...]
Whenever SNL producers book a host who seems inexperienced in live comedy, they fall back on a kind of playbook. Stick to popular recurring bits and pretaped videos to take the burden off the host. Give her small, easy stuff that plays to her strengths, then get her out of there. If she can sing, let her sing. The goal is to Bodyguard-cradle the host, letting her enjoy herself while hiding her from the real dangers of the scary sketch comedy world.
Given how little we saw of Anna Kendrick this episode, you'd think Lorne was standing nearby off stage, ready to dive in and take a bullet.
It’s always been Robin.
“This is a story about how you’re in love with Aunt Robin and thinking about asking her out and wondering if we’re okay with it,” Penny Mosby bluntly stated to her dad Ted in the final moments of How I Met Your Mother.
About 10% of the hour-long episode stuck with season 9’s setting of Barney and Robin’s wedding weekend, with the remaining 90% of the hour giving us a look into the gang’s future. Barney and Robin’s marriage only lasted three years, solidifying my idea that they were never a believable couple. Barney slips back into his old ways and continues sleeping around with [...]
Since premiering in January, Comedy Central's Broad City has been gaining momentum as not just television's funniest breakout comedy but one of the freshest concepts to get the TV treatment in a while. While it has the sketch mastery roots of Kroll Show, the offbeat weirdness of Portlandia, and the Millenial female-driven New Yorker theme of Girls, Broad City has remained singularly new and exciting thanks to the onscreen chemistry and deft rapport of series creators/stars Ilana Glazer and Abbi Jacobson. Ahead of tonight's season finale, here's a look at why Broad City killed it this season, and why we can't wait until Glazer and Jacobson get to do [...]