Splitsider

On SNL Recap: Josh Brolin and the Beginning of the End

@theBULL Agreed. The way Hader and Wiig took their cues from him, and how they responded to him, you could tell the whole thing was his idea, which made it even funnier. I love how many of Armisen's concepts are "...and he talks in this weird way."

Posted on April 16, 2012 at 5:16 pm 0

On SNL Recap: Josh Brolin and the Beginning of the End

@Piss Cop Gilly was in THIS episode too? And I didn't see her? Well, that's terrifying.

Posted on April 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm 0

On SNL Recap: Josh Brolin and the Beginning of the End

@Colin Hughes@twitter Thanks Colin. There definitely was a different vibe to this episode -- the castmembers seemed to be having more fun than normal.

Posted on April 16, 2012 at 5:12 pm 0

On SNL Recap: Josh Brolin and the Beginning of the End

@Alyssa Merwin@facebook In retrospect, it was my favorite moment as well. Even the jokes were sharper and more on point than usual. Definitely in the running for the best GOP cold open.

Posted on April 16, 2012 at 5:11 pm 0

On Splitsider's Guide to LA's Comedy Scene

I love this comment thread. It wouldn't be LA without at least a few show plugs. Great article, Bradford!

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm 0

On What's Wrong with Comedy Central?

I agree with your central thesis, but I wish you would be more specific in how Comedy Central has been lacking creatively rather than just treat the criticism as an obvious assumption. You mentioned "That's My Bush" and "Straight Plan for the Gay Man" while completely neglecting the more recent "Workaholics" and the series of annoying roasts. And lets hear these dozens of comedians' anecdotes! There's also a counter-thesis that's begging to be made in regards to "Key and Peele" and the decisions to syndicate "30 Rock" and "Community," which I believe are indicators of good taste in Comedy Central development. More!

Posted on March 19, 2012 at 4:47 pm 0

On SNL Recap: Jonah Hill Is A Funny Man

@Francis Rizzo III@twitter Awesome! Thanks so much for posting that, Francis! Okay, so after a bit of research, I found out that long-time SNL band trombone player Steve Turre will play a conch shell every now and then on the show. As for the SportsCenter set, my guess is that they couldn't get set up in time, so they skipped it, went back to commercial break, and then returned for the Shins' second musical number. So... there's your answer, fishbulb.

Posted on March 12, 2012 at 8:11 pm 0

On SNL Recap: Jonah Hill Is A Funny Man

@Francis Rizzo III@twitter Yeah, they cut it out for the west coast broadcast. Anybody with it on their DVRs want to post a picture of it?

Posted on March 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm 0

On SNL Recap: Jonah Hill Is A Funny Man

@Steven Blair@facebook Gotta disagree with you on Brutus. There is a difference between "mono-premise" and "one-note" -- Brutus had one premise that they explored and heightened throughout the sketch (the various kinky activities becoming increasingly dark, the monkey's growing shame), whereas the cold open was literally the same kind of easy joke repeated ad finitum: absurd products... go! I felt the "scientist teaches monkey to talk; monkey tells world that scientist had sex with him" premise was loaded with Onion-worthy irony rarely seen in SNL sketches.

Posted on March 12, 2012 at 1:28 pm 0

On SNL Recap: Jonah Hill Is A Funny Man

@Justin Russo@facebook Fixed! Thanks for letting us know.

Posted on March 12, 2012 at 1:18 pm 0